Code of Conduct
As much as the physical training is important, Taekwon-Do students should be taught how to conduct themselves in a disciplined environment with development of etiquette and respect.
Students participating in Thoroughbred Taekwon-Do classes do so, with a culture of mutual respect and observance of rank, and a thorough knowledge and appreciation of Taekwon-Do theory.
1. Students must bow upon entering and leaving the dojang, whilst an instructor is present or flags are displayed.
2. All instructions issued by an instructor or senior student should be carried out, without dispute, and to the best of your ability at all times.
3. Courtesy and respect should be shown towards all instructors and students at all times, both in and out of the dojang. Disrespect shown towards the instructor at any time will result in expulsion from the academy.
4. Students must answer clearly “yes sir” or “yes maam” to instructor at all times, or alternately “Boo-sabum” (1st – 3rd Degree), “Sabum” (4th – 6th Degree), “Sahyun” (7-8th Degree), “Sa-Sung” (9th Degree)
5. If you are late for class you must proceed directly to the front of the dojang and wait for the instructor to bow and signal for you to join the class.
6. Permission to leave the class must be obtained from the instructor at all times, and the same procedure, as 5 should be followed. Student should avoid leaving class where possible.
7. Swearing and abusive language is not permitted in class at any time.
8. During training, the approved Thoroughbred Taekwon-Do uniform must be worn, including the appropriate belt and badges.
9. Spectators are not permitted in class at any time unless given specific permission by the instructor, or on special occasions such as gradings, or where a separate area for spectators is not available.
10. Students must not communicate with, nor allow spectators/parents to distract them at any time during class.
11. All senior ranked students are responsible in ensuring that lower ranked and new students follow the Thoroughbred Taekwon-Do Code of Conduct.
12. Students must never call the instructor by their first name whilst in dobok or in the dojang.
1. All training, grading and membership fees must be paid promptly at the start of each year/term/month.
2. There are no casual training fees, or fees paid in arrears. (May vary from school to school – check with instructor)
3. Grading fees and forms must be submitted in full at least 1 week prior to testing.
4. Camps, seminars, tournaments etc. must be paid by dates specified on application forms. Students must ensure all details on forms are correct.
1. Students cannot participate in any tournaments without the prior knowledge of their instructor. This includes both Taekwon-Do (ITF or otherwise) and Non-Taekwon-Do tournaments.
2. Students / parents must always display good sportsmanship and behaviour at all tournaments, competing in the true spirit of Taekwon-Do, regardless of the outcome of a particular contest. Any conduct, which reflects poorly on the reputation of the school, may result in expulsion from the academy.
3. All complaints, and inquiries, must be handled by the instructor/ coach only
4. All senior students are expected to assist in an official capacity at all I.T.F. tournaments, particularly those hosted by Thoroughbred Taekwon-Do schools.
5. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure they have their own appropriate protective equipment.
6. Full uniform, including club badges, must be worn whilst competing, and during presentation ceremony.
8. Students must ensure they have a clear knowledge of tournament rules and follow them as closely as possible.
- Whilst additional training is generally encouraged, students must inform the instructor if they are training at another club. The instructor reserves the right to request the student select where they wish to train, if it is seen to have a detrimental effect on their performance and/or attitude, or to be a negative influence on other students.
- Students are not to recruit for others schools from within the club
- Training at other schools cannot clash with your training at this school.
- Instructor reserves the right to cancel membership if this request is not followed.
- Students cannot seek promotion from other schools without the prior knowledge and blessing of their primary instructor.
- Injuries incurred whilst training at other schools, or participating in non-endorsed events, will not be covered under the school’s insurance policy.